Friday, May 21, 2010

Hangtown Preview & Jimmy Decotis Interview

Features Below - Hangtown Track Preview, Interview with Jimmy Decotis #613


Well, this is it guys! The first round of the Outdoor National Championships is finally here. After a few weeks break from supercross, all the riders must be itching to get back outdoors. With the forecast calling for mostly sunny skies and the temperatures just under 70 degrees, conditions for racing will be excellent.


Amateur day for Hangtown 2010 is in the books, it was a great day of racing. I didn't do as well as I had hoped for, the girls are a lot faster out here. The track was an absolute blast for sure! The dirt was great. There was a ton of sand mixed in, and I felt right at home in it. It makes me miss being able to race Southwick every weekend! The crew here at Hangtown kept the track well watered and hosted a great day of racing for everyone to enjoy.

What are everyone's thoughts on the season opener this weekend? Mike Alessi isn't riding a 250f, or a 450.. but a 350? This is going to be interesting for sure, as he is running it in the 450 class. Also, under the Geico/Factory Connection Honda rig is newly signed rookie Eli Tomac. I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to see how Eli does in his first national. I watched him practice at Glen Helen about a week ago, and he looks great.

As many of you know, we're on a cross country trip. What I've noticed throughout my travels, spending time at many tracks.. James "Jimmy" Decotis is creating quite the buzz. "That privateer kid" came out into this past supercross season swinging, leading laps in his first ever heat race. Jimmy has a ton of heart, I know he is going to go far this season. I got a chance to catch up with Jimmy and ask him a few questions via text message about the race this weekend.


KC- Hey Jimmy! Do you feel like youre prepared differently for the Nationals this year after getting a season of supercross under your belt? Did you change your training schedule?

Jimmy D- Absolutely. I've been working really hard and I believe that I belong up front after the SX season. I'm just looking forward to the outdoors and hopefully progress more every race. I have an awesome bike right now and I feel like I'm riding better than ever. I'm more motivated than I've ever been and I'm excited for the season.

KC- That's great to hear! As a kid, were you homeschooled? Did you get away from the cold weather up in Massachusetts every winter by going down to Florida?

Jimmy D- Yeah when I was about 14 I stated going down to Florida for the winter time, and I think it helped me a lot. I did homeschooling when I was in Florida, but I would go to public school when I was home in MA. It was tough to balance it out but it was all worth it.

KC- What are your thoughts on this weekend's race at Hangtown? Do you feel that youre prepared both physically and mentally?

Jimmy D- Yeah, I'm excited for the race. I'm definitely prepared and feeling really confident for tomorrow. I'm just a little anxious to start racing haha but I'm looking forward to he series. I've never done all the rounds, so it's going to be more of a learning year than anything for me.

KC- Well good luck Jimmy and kick ass! I know all of New England is going to be cheering for you. Is there anyone you would like to thank?

Jimmy D- Thank you Katie, and thanks to everyone from New England for cheering me on.. hopefully I can be the next Dowdy haha. My dad, my mechanic Keith Clickstein, Pro Circuit, Factory Connection, JP3 Graphics, Kenny G's Performance Tuning, Renthal, Hinson, Scott Goggles, Renegade Fuels, Shoei, No Fear, and Dunlop.



2 comments:

  1. Nice.
    Looks like fun hanging at Hangtown and smelling all that race gas.
    Another guy who thinks winter up here sucks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right about Eli Tomac!

    ReplyDelete